Monday, February 21, 2005

getting used to it here!

Man, was I glad for the weekend last Friday….even though I’d only been in Ethiopia for less than a week, felt like forever! At least the arrival of my luggage made me feel much more myself, and I was ready to see some more of Addis, outside of the same areas I keep going for work purposes….

Began with dinner on Friday night, drinks first at a cozy little café called the Milkhouse (don’t ask me how they came up with that), with a kind of bonfire burning outside, which luckily was close to our table so I wasn’t too chilly. Since it’s so hot during the day, I keep forgetting to bring along a jacket or sweater for the evenings…can get pretty cold! The local beer here – Castel – isn’t too bad, and it’s super-cheap, like $1/bottle…. Could get used to the low cost of living here! then off to a Korean restaurant for dinner, complete with japchae and bulgogi, quite authentic and very good. Go figure, didn’t know there was actually a Korean community here, but the restaurant was packed with Asians, and aside from me, the other guys I was with were the only white people (faranji) around….interesting! we then headed to a pretty sophisticated bar/lounge called the black roses, apparently one of the places to be on the weekend, was full of Ethiopians and foreigners.

That’s something I still need to get used to, is that work colleagues are also my social circle, which can make for awkward situations at times. It’s a bit strange to see the political officer from the Irish embassy with his arms draped around various women, obviously quite tipsy…and then head into a serious meeting with him about Ethiopian elections. Think I need to get over it, but takes some disassociation and haven’t been able to completely sort it out. Talk about weird colliding worlds….

So Saturday was a bit of work in the morning, but then off to see what cultural activities I could discover. First was the Ethiopia national museum, with four floors of interesting artifacts, some of which are deteriorating due to poor conservation and facilities, pretty sad. Otherwise, some objects of note: lucy’s skeleton (she was only a bit over 1m tall!), royal robes and thrones, fossilized tools and animal remains, local instruments, and different types of jewelry worn by various ethnic groups. My driver then took me to Addis Ababa University and the institute of Ethiopian studies there – the former royal palace – where they’ve preserved emperor haile selassie’s bedroom and bathroom, pretty advanced and luxurious accommodations for the 1930s. some cool photos from all different eras, including the Italian occupation. Ethiopians are very proud that the country was never actually colonized, just occupied for a time before/during ww2.



Another thing that keeps throwing me off here is the Ethiopian flag and the country’s national colors: red, yellow, and green…yup, same colors as the Rastafarians (who believe Ethiopia is their homeland)!! Every time I see a flag or poster or sticker, I can’t help think of dreds and pot. Oh well, I’m sure I’ll get used to it…

So Sunday was truly a day off, as I moved from my first hotel to the Sheraton, one of the chain’s luxury resorts….and it’s an amazing place!! I admit I definitely have pangs of guilt as I walk through the marble lobby and lounge by the pool…but hey, work hard and play hard!! After a week of lugging around my shoulder bag full of documents and books, I decided I was overdue for a massage and booked an hour-long session, after which any sort of intellectual endeavor was totally a lost cause. luckily I didn’t have much else to do in the evening, other than head over to a friend’s place for dinner. I’m now totally set up in my room overlooking the fountain and courtyard, complete with French doors and my own personal exercise bike…heehee! Reason being the Sheraton doesn’t have a gym so you can request your own equipment free of charge…pretty sweet huh? Very necessary since I’m not getting much walking/running done and had to leave my bike back in the states. think this more than makes up for it though!!

Another hard day’s work in the bag, having bought some office furniture and caught up on paperwork. Lots of reading done too, so not bad considering it’s supposed to be a day off in the u.s.! plus had my first real Ethiopian meal here, complete with injera and eating with my hands…yummy. I’m finding it hard to get used to a meat-only diet, so must supplement with greens whenever possible! Think I’ll be having a salad tonight…

1 comment: